ANNOUNCE: muchsync 1 - share notmuch DB across machines

David Mazieres dm-list-email-notmuch at scs.stanford.edu
Fri Jun 19 14:55:19 PDT 2015

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> writes:

> I noticed that the configure script didn't notice notmuch-devel was not
> installed on my system.  I noticed it when the compilation failed.  Bug?

What OS and distribution are you using?  notmuch-devel sounds like
something a linux distribution might do, rather than anything that's
part of notmuch itself.  On arch linux, for example, there's just a
notmuch package that includes notmuch.

Obviously there's no way to compile muchsync without notmuch installed.
But if you elaborate on what it is you saw and what you would like to
see I might be able to address it in the next release.

> Besides that, I had a question.  I would like to synchronize just the
> tags, not the maildirs, I want to use OfflineIMAP for that.  Is that
> possible?

Not really, no.  You could run offlineimap followed by muchsync, but you
run the risk that mail will be delivered in the meantime.  You could
also run offlineimap to fetch your mail in the first place, and then
muchsync to sync it between your devices.

Can I ask why you would want to do this, anyway?  Muchsync should be
faster than notmuch, particularly if you have a lot of mail directories
and/or are going to pay the cost of tag synchronization anyway.

David