Understanding the "replied" tag

Xu Wang xuwang762 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 21:00:35 PDT 2015

Dear Suvayu and Austin,

Thank you for your attempts to understand my goals. I apologize for
the lack in the clarity of my previous messages. Thank you kindly for
your persistence and thank you to Suvayu for suggestions on adding
more information.

I am indeed using mutt-kz, along with offlineimap, on Ubuntu 15.04. I
have written the following information the other email thread I
started (perhaps I should have added it as a reply here, but I thought
it might be sufficiently a different topic). I will copy the
information I gave there on my goal here:

My goal is to do something like the following:
notmuch search tag:reply-required and not tag:replied

which was discussed here:
http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2010/002558.html

However, instead of conditioning on tag:reply-required, I would like
to look at this for a specific message. For example, if I write an
important message, I can do the following:
save the message id, and then in 5 days set a cron script to check
whether my message was responded to. If it was not responded to I will
take some action to notify myself (haven't decided what yet).
It is the "If it was not responded to" part that this email thread is
about. I am now realizing that I cannot use mutt's tag "replied"
because I often send and read email from gmail or other IMap clients
(e.g. phone). Because of this (I believe), the reply tag does not get
set when it should (well not "should" but rather "when I want it to").
For example, I often have

abc
->def
  -> ghi

where the message def does not have the "replied" tag, even though it
was replied to (ghi replied to it). I think the reason is what I
suggested above. Yes, indeed Austin was correct about where my
misunderstanding was. I do indeed want to see if *any* reply was to a
certain message id, but the "replied" tag is apparently for my own
replying.

Because I cannot use the "replied" tag (unless I have misunderstood),
I thought I could just check using the message id with 'notmuch search
repliedto:<messageid>', but Suvayu points out that searching for this
is not supported.

Kind regards,

Xu