bug report: Emacs notmuch-mode fails attachments with spaces

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila at iki.fi
Mon Feb 9 23:06:02 PST 2015

On Mon, Feb 09 2015, Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils at dieweltistgarnichtso.net> wrote:

> Dear notmuch developers,
>

> I use notmuch-mode for GNU Emacs for managing my email.
>
> I think I have found a bug in notmuch-mode: If I do “.-v” on the line “[
> 2015 _ Richtlinien.pdf: application/pdf ]”, then notmuch will open three
> windows of zathura (the PDF viewer I use).
>
> It seems to me that someone here either forgot quoting or decided to
> split filenames on spaces. I suggest that “2015 _ Richtlinien.pdf:
> application/pdf” should be quoted in notmuch-show-view-part.
>
> Note that saving attachment (“.-s”, notmuch-show-save-part) generally
> works even if the attachment file names have spaces. In case it matters,
> I normally use the rc(1) shell in Debian <http://tobold.org/article/rc>.

This code handles the saving and displaying in question (quick look hop i
am right :)

   2282 (defun notmuch-show-save-part ()
   2283   "Save the MIME part containing point to a file."
   2284   (interactive)
   2285   (notmuch-show-apply-to-current-part-handle #'mm-save-part))
   2286
   2287 (defun notmuch-show-view-part ()
   2288   "View the MIME part containing point in an external viewer."
   2289   (interactive)
   2290   ;; Set mm-inlined-types to nil to force an external viewer
   2291   (let ((mm-inlined-types nil))
   2292     (notmuch-show-apply-to-current-part-handle #'mm-display-part)))

SO, there is 2 options:

1) mm executes save part correctly but not display part

2) there is (shell) wrapper program executing zathura which cannot handle
   arguments with spaces (there is plenty of examples of this!)

You could try to check how th external processes are executed by executing:

strace -f -e trace=process emacs -f notmuch

(emacs on X is preferable in this case ;)

Tomi