auto-choosing reply addresses in notmuch-emacs

Michael Hudson-Doyle michael.hudson at canonical.com
Tue Nov 18 19:17:05 PST 2014

Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> writes:

> Hi, folks.  I wonder if anyone knows of a way to tell the emacs client
> to use different email addresses to respond to mail from different
> sources.  So for instance, I would like to respond to mail to one
> mailing list from one address, and to another mailing list from a
> different address.  Ideally I would be able to set up some sort of
> filter rules such that if the mail is from ".*@example.com" I would
> respond with my me at example.com address, and if the mail is from
> ".*@example.org" I would respond with my jrollins at finestructure.net
> address.
>
> Does anyone already do anything like this?  I would how hard it would be
> to setup built-in support for something like that.  Given that notmuch
> generates replies, maybe we could add it to the notmuch cli somehow,
> with some new config fields?

You can use gnus-alias for this.  Put

(autoload 'gnus-alias-determine-identity "gnus-alias" "" t)
(add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'gnus-alias-determine-identity)

in .emacs and then M-x customize-group gnus-alias.  I would be more
helpful but I no longer need this functionality and have forgotten how
it works :)

Cheers,
mwh