notmuch vim patches

Ian Main imain at redhat.com
Fri Oct 17 10:29:38 PDT 2014

Franz Fellner wrote:

> > > - make some of the functions public so users can bind them to keys they
> > >   want
> > > - introduce show_[prev,next]_unread_msg, probably factor out
> > >   "show_scroll_to_msg()" and implement prev/next msg with that?
> >
> > You know I was just reading a thread and hit 'a' to archive a message
> > within the thread and for some reason it hung for a few seconds.. but it
> > made me think we should be able to press 'a' (or whatever archive key)
> > and have it archive and move to next unread.  That seems to me to be a
> > good behavior with a natural flow.
>
> Yes, sounds good.
> Today I thought of a more generic approach:
> pass a query that a message should match.
> :notmuch-show-next-message tag:unread		# go to the next unread
> message in thread

next unread message in thread, and if there are no more in thread, the next
unread message in the next thread?

> :notmuch-show-next-message from:"Ian Main" 	# got to the next
> message in thread sent by "Ian Main"
> The user then can map keys to custom commands.
>
> Good or too generic?

I'm not sure how easy it would be to invoke that.. if you think you'd use
it I'd say it's fine but I don't think I would.

> Furthermore I thought of rearranging the sources:
> - Put files in Vundle/*-compatible dirs, would simplify development.
>   (Currently I have several files symlinked from notmuch-src into .vim)
> - Put the "heavy" ruby code into its own file. Today I got an error I
>   could not deal with because line numbers did not match. Also I read
>   about the possibility that the ruby interpreter might optimize only
>   seperate files. This could lead to better performance.

Yes, that's a good idea too.  I notice that the github version has a
different layout. I think it is vundle compatible?  I know it makes moving
patches from the official repo to the github one challenging.

    Ian