database version conflict

Sepp Tannhuber sepp.tannhuber at yahoo.de
Thu Oct 16 03:07:26 PDT 2014

Dear all,

I had to reinstall my PC because I had some trouble. My home directory including
Maildir has been copied from the old installation.

I'm using alot 0.3.6 with notmuch 0.18.1+126~g7487e2e. When starting alot, I
receive the following warning and cannot change any labels:

  Warning: Notmuch database at /home/sepp/Maildir/.notmuch
           has a newer database format version (3) than supported by this
           version of notmuch (1). Some operations may behave incorrectly,
           (but the database will not be harmed since it is being opened
           in read-only mode).

Can anybody help me to fix this? I cannot understand why my notmuch version from
git obviously doesn't support the existing database format version. The notmuch
version from my current debian installation results in the same warning.

I should mention that I have used notmuch and alot from git before without any
problems. So I think the problem might be related to one of the other packages
needed for alot: python-notmuch or libnotmuch3. I've tried these packages
from debian stable and unstable without success.