'notmuch new' trying to read non-existing files

Perttu Luukko perttu.luukko at iki.fi
Tue Aug 26 21:29:38 PDT 2014

On 2014-08-26 13:01:22, David Bremner wrote:
> Perttu Luukko <perttu.luukko at iki.fi> writes:
> > When I run 'notmuch new' I get:
> >
> > 	Found 9903 total files (that's not much mail).
> > 	Error reading file /home/users/(username)/Maildir/.act/.act: No such file
> > 	or directory
>
> I'm grasping at straws a bit, but do you by chance have some fancy
> symlinks in your Maildir?

Well this is embarrassing, but this was indeed the case. I had cleaned
the Maildir from what I thought were leftover symlinks from some time
long ago. Actually, I had a script that creates, with symlinks, a copy
of my mailbox without the dots in the directory names for use with Mutt.
I had left out parameter -T from 'ln' so my script also created weird
symlinks at ~/Maildir, and thus resurrected the links I thought I
cleaned up. And the links were indeed the problem.

Everything is working now. Sorry and thanks!

--
Perttu