'notmuch new' trying to read non-existing files

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Tue Aug 26 13:01:22 PDT 2014

Perttu Luukko <perttu.luukko at iki.fi> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I decided to give notmuch a spin and installed version 0.18.1 on my mail
> provider's shell server. The layout offered by my mail provider's
> Dovecot is such that INBOX is stored in Maildir format at ~/Maildir and
> other folders are stored as subfolders of ~/Maildir, filename of each
> directory beginning with a period. In addition, ~/Maildir contains files
> 'dovecot-uidlist' and dovecot-uidvalidity', and each subdirectory
> contains an empty file 'maildirfolder' in addition to the usual cur, new
> and tmp. I don't know if this is an unusual layout or not.

It doesn't seem that unusual to me. At least if all the folders are in
the top level of Maildir, this is the semi-standard Maildir++ format.

> When I run 'notmuch new' I get:
>
> 	Found 9903 total files (that's not much mail).
> 	Error reading file /home/users/(username)/Maildir/.act/.act: No such file
> 	or directory

I have a Maildir++ setup myself and I don't have this problem.  I ran a
fresh notmuch new on Debian Stable with 0.18.1 with an ext3 file
system. FWIW on that machine I have gmime 2.6.10 and xapian 1.2.12

I'm grasping at straws a bit, but do you by chance have some fancy
symlinks in your Maildir?