emacs integration

David Edmondson dme at dme.org
Fri May 23 00:20:04 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 22 2014, Gauthier Östervall wrote:
> I just installed notmuch and could index from the command line.
> I read from the Setup section of the "emacs tips" page (
> notmuch at notmuchmail.org ) that integrating to emacs is as simple as
> (require 'notmuch).
>
> 1. First, I had a hard time to get the el files at all. I finally got
> them from github.comb/chrisdone/notmuch.git.
> Is this ok? Where should I get them otherwise?

http://notmuchmail.org lists both http://notmuchmail.org/releases/ and
git://notmuchmail.org/git/notmuch as sources of notmuch.

The emacs UI is in emacs/ when you've grabbed the source.

> 2. I put the git repot in ~/.emacs.d/includes/notmuch, and added that
> to my load-path:
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/includes/notmuch")
> before the require line.
> Require seemed to work (besides this error message: "Symbol's value as
> variable is void: zenburn-blue")
> Anything wrong here?

This is a local change in the repository that you cloned - it's not an
official mirror.

> 3. Opening notmuch.el revealed that notmuch had to be built, with
> $ sudo make install-emacs.
> Unfortunately this yields:
> gauthier:~/.emacs.d/includes/notmuch $ sudo make install-emacs
> make -C .. install-emacs
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/gauthier/.emacs.d/includes'
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `install-emacs'.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gauthier/.emacs.d/includes'
> make: *** [install-emacs] Error 2
>
> I am not sure why the makefile has "-C ..", but I am not either sure
> how to solve it.
> Where do I go from there?

The repository that you cloned is a modified, partial copy of the
original source. It's better to go to the original (see above).