folder and path completely broken in HEAD?

dm-list-email-notmuch at scs.stanford.edu dm-list-email-notmuch at scs.stanford.edu
Sat May 3 08:55:56 PDT 2014

Mark Walters <markwalters1009 at gmail.com> writes:

>> All the way back.  Now you are saying there will be no convenient way to
>> match just the "mail.class" part without the year?  How very
>> distressing.  Ugh.
>
> Hi
>
> I am not quite sure what you are meaning by hierarchically group
> messages. Searching for path:dir/foo/bar/** should give all messages in
> all directories beneath dir/foo/bar.

The problem is that the maildir++ spec disallows such pathnames.  If I
need compatibility with maildir++ (for instance for an imap server), at
least on a per-year basis, then my maildirs have to have names like:

   2013/.foo.foo
   2013/.foo.bar
   2013/.foo.baz
   2014/.foo.foo
   2014/.foo.bar
   2014/.foo.baz

So if I want a way to aggregate all my foo mail in a single search,
right now I just ask for folder:foo.  Will there be any equivalent in
the new notmuch?

Thanks,
David