folder and path completely broken in HEAD?

Mark Walters markwalters1009 at gmail.com
Sat May 3 00:11:50 PDT 2014

On Sat, 03 May 2014, dm-list-email-notmuch at scs.stanford.edu wrote:
> Jani Nikula <jani at nikula.org> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 02 May 2014, dm-list-email-notmuch at scs.stanford.edu wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm using a pretty standard maildir++ layout.  For example, underneath
>>> my database.path I have a bunch of mail in directories such as:
>>>
>>>     .INBOX.Main/{new,cur}
>>>     .mail.class/{new,cur}
>>>     .mail.voicemail/{new,cur}
>> Here's additional commentary on the specific queries.
>>
>>>         linux7$ ./notmuch count folder:mail
>>>         0
>>>         linux8$ ./notmuch count folder:.mail
>>>         0
>
> Oh, man.  That's a serious bummer.
>
> Is there any mechanism left that would let me hierarchically group
> messages?  I've got a ton of mail.* folders, and create new ones
> dynamically.  I really want a mechanism to group them hierarchically, so
> I can have a search that matches all current and future mail
> directories.  I organized my whole mail setup around folders because a)
> tags do not provide this kind of hierarchical control, and b) there
> doesn't seem to be a convenient way to apply tags 100% reliably on
> message delivery, whereas I *can* control the folder 100% reliably.
>
> Worse, because of my poor performance, I was hoping to segregate
> messages by year.  So it would be:
>
>   2013/.mail.class
>   2013/.mail.voicemail
>   2014/.mail.class
>   2014/.mail.voicemail
>
> All the way back.  Now you are saying there will be no convenient way to
> match just the "mail.class" part without the year?  How very
> distressing.  Ugh.

Hi

I am not quite sure what you are meaning by hierarchically group
messages. Searching for path:dir/foo/bar/** should give all messages in
all directories beneath dir/foo/bar.

So for the year example you give you could have directories
mail/class/2013 and mail/class/2014/ etc.

Anyway if you can describe your use more fully we may be able to
help. And if it can't do what you want it would also give us some idea
of what would need to be changed.

Finally, I am not quite sure what this means

> there doesn't seem to be a convenient way to apply tags 100% reliably
> on message delivery, whereas I *can* control the folder 100% reliably.

Are you wanting to tag messages based on some properties when doing
notmuch new while avoiding races etc? Or are you worried about duplicate
message-ids? Or something else?

Best wishes

Mark