Final call for news for 0.18

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila at iki.fi
Thu May 1 12:43:10 PDT 2014

On Thu, May 01 2014, Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:

> David Bremner wrote:
>> We've had a quiet freeze for a week or so, so I think we're probably
>> ready to release. Per Jani's suggestion, I made a "tl;dr" summary for
>> the NEWS. Barring last minute bugs, I'd like to release this weekend,
>> so please send me any NEWS comments ASAP.
>
> What about the vim changes?
>
> http://mid.gmane.org/1398289784-18203-1-git-send-email-felipe.contreras@gmail.com

I was going to review these after 0.18 release as the freeze was announced
to be Apri 21th(*) and these patches in question was sent April 24th, without
any request to consider these for 0.18...

(*) This freeze was announced April 14th (see id:8761mcxjhc.fsf at zancas.localnet
or http://mid.gmane.org/8761mcxjhc.fsf@zancas.localnet )

In general these patches:

id:1398289784-18203-2-git-send-email-felipe.contreras at gmail.com
id:1398289784-18203-3-git-send-email-felipe.contreras at gmail.com
id:1398289784-18203-4-git-send-email-felipe.contreras at gmail.com

has something lacking in the commit messages; none of these indicate that
these are vim patches in the subject line.  For 1/3 I'd have liked to see
some potentially understandable explanation why the change was done instead
of "Seems it never really worked." -- the change looks a bit strange
(probably due to only the context seen).  Commit message for 2/3 might be
tolerable if it were prefixed with vim: -- and the same applies to 3/3
(in 3/3 I don't understand the change and I don't use vim so I don't know
how to test so It would be nice to get someone else (or two) to report
their experience with these patches applied in their notmuch-vim environment)

Also NEWS for these changes are missing.

I personally don't see these patches being important enough to hinder
0.18 release timeline -- these patches should just have come earlier...
... but if you had a good case, fix these things (quickly!) and had
strong backing from some other notmuch-vim users I could see a small
chance of these being part of the next release...

Tomi

PS: does vim frontend lack id:message-id feature -- the above http link
to gmane was just useless to me, which meant I had to use extra steps
to reach the emails (which sometimes if not often leads me just to drop
the issue there...). If it is lacking and SomeOne(™) proposes id:msgid
handling to notmuch-wim I promise to review that right away :D