notmuch, OpenBSD issues

Allan Streib astreib at indiana.edu
Fri Apr 18 05:42:09 PDT 2014

David Mazieres <dm-list-email-notmuch at scs.stanford.edu> writes:

> I'm using notmuch 0.17 on openbsd (from the ports tree).  My problem is
> that notmuch new is just unbearably slow.  I don't know if it's because
> I'm running the 32-bit (i386) mode or what, but it takes over one second
> per mail message.  E.g., this is typical of what I see when checking for
> new mail:
>
>         Processed 18 total files in 20s (0 files/sec.).
>         Added 5 new messages to the database.
>
> Linux is 10 times faster.  Have you seen any similar performance issues?

I didn't realize there was a port. I don't see it in my tree (amd64,
recent 5.5-current). I've been building from the git repo.

Anyway, yes I have seen similar on an older Mac OS X install I have at
home on a G4 PowerBook. I haven't had "unbearably" slow performance on
my amd64 OpenBSD installation, but there is sometimes a noticable lag.

I wonder if it would help to enable softupdates on the partition where
your database lives? http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#SoftUpdates

Allan