Bug: notmuch new chokes on dangling symlinks and quits

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Mon Jan 27 09:40:14 PST 2014

Gregor Zattler <telegraph at gmx.net> writes:

> Hi David,
> * David Bremner <david at tethera.net> [26. Jan. 2014]:
>> Gregor Zattler <telegraph at gmx.net> writes:
>>> I consider this to be a bug.  Instead notmuch should simply
>>> ignore the symlink.
>>>

>> Since there is a test for specifically this behaviour, I'd have to say
>> it's a design decision you don't agree with, not a bug ;).
>
> May I ask why this is so?

Purely from memory (I wasn't involved, and didn't dig up the the
discussion):

- a common use case is linking different trees into one notmuch-index
  tree.

- if a subtree disappears (e.g. by a network failure), then the choices
  are stop the index or ignore the missing files.

- in the latter case, all tags from "deleted" messages are lost

So, a simple solution which avoids data loss is to abort the index
process.

A more complicated solution would be possible of course, but nobody
proposed it (or more importantly, did it) yet.