Bug: notmuch new chokes on dangling symlinks and quits

Eric eric at deptj.eu
Mon Jan 27 07:55:49 PST 2014

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 02:14:27 +0100, Gregor Zattler <telegraph at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi David,
> * David Bremner <david at tethera.net> [26. Jan. 2014]:
> > Gregor Zattler <telegraph at gmx.net> writes:
> >> I consider this to be a bug.  Instead notmuch should simply
> >> ignore the symlink.
> >>

> > Since there is a test for specifically this behaviour, I'd have to say
> > it's a design decision you don't agree with, not a bug ;).
>
> May I ask why this is so?

I have no idea what went on with such a decision, but, from the outside:

1) A dangling symlink should probably be handled in the same way as
   an unreadable file, but would need a separate test because it is
   a separate condition.

2) A dangling symlink should not be a normal condition anywhere, why do
   you have them?

3) I am even more amazed that there should be a dangling symlink in a
   Maildir tree.

> > In any case, if there is just a few broken symlinks, and you want to
> > ignore them, you can add them the ignore= line in .notmuch-config
>
> Thanks, I deleted some, and ignored others.  Insofar my problem is
> solved.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry