alot: can't read sent emails, after encryption

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Sat Nov 16 12:47:02 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 12 2013, apmanine at idaaas.com wrote:
> I have recently switched to notmuch. Thank you for it!
> I'm using "alot" as a frontend (thank you for it, too!). Everything
> works smoothly, apart from one problem: with alot, I can't figure out how
> to read encrypted emails I previously sent: they appear to be encrypted
> using the addressee's key.
>
> Is there some way to store encrypted sent emails with my own public gpg
> key?

What you really want is to tell gpg to always encrypt messages to your
personal key as well, which will always make them viewable by you.  This
way you don't have to worry about saving unencrypted versions of the
message to disk, or there being two distinct versions of the message
(one encrypted to the recipient and a different one encrypted to you).

See the "encrypt-to" gpg option [0].

jamie.

[0] http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg-devel/GPG-Key-related-Options.html