OSX 10.6 support

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila at iki.fi
Wed Oct 9 08:18:02 PDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 09 2013, ngreply <ngreply at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> do not know, if it's done right, but this patch fixed my compilation of
> notmuch-0.16 on OSX 10.6:
>
> diff Makefile.local.org Makefile.local
> 287c287
> < 	$(call quiet,$(FINAL_NOTMUCH_LINKER) $(CFLAGS)) $(notmuch_client_modules)
> $(FINAL_NOTMUCH_LDFLAGS) -o $@
> ---
>> 	$(call quiet,$(FINAL_NOTMUCH_LINKER) $(CFLAGS)) $(notmuch_client_modules)
>> util/libutil.a $(FINAL_NOTMUCH_LDFLAGS) -o $@

That is interesting; FINAL_NOTMUCH_LDFLAGS is defined as

FINAL_NOTMUCH_LDFLAGS = $(LDFLAGS) -Lutil -lutil -Llib -lnotmuch ...

(and, in my linux environment LDFLAGS is defined as empty string)

In ./lib we have libnotmuch.a & libnotmuch.so but in ./util we (only)
have libutil.a -- for some reason OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) gcc (4.2.x IIRC)
doesn't use the static library ?

Well, IMO having that util/libutil.a there is a tolerable workaround to get
notmuch 0.16 available in OSX 10.6...

Tomi