Emacs: how to remove "unread" tag while reading emails

Mark Walters markwalters1009 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 02:19:59 PDT 2013

Hello

I agree that the unread tag does not work well. There are some instances
which I would class as plain bugs (notmuch-show-next-message which is
bound to N marks the new message read even if it is collapsed) and
other instances where it is not clear what the correct behaviour should
be.

I have messed around a bit and there seem to be a lot of possible
variants and I don't know whether any would have any consensus.

One clear divide is whether we should only mark "visited messages" (ie
ones reached using space, n,N,p,P etc in the current bindings) or we
should also make messages seen by scrolling past (eg with page down).

Anyway here is a list of some possibilities. In all cases I assume we do
not mark any collapsed message read.

1) Mark a message read when we visit it.
2) Mark a message read when we visit it and the leave it with a "visit
move" (eg n for next message)

3) Mark a message read if we see the start of the message in the buffer.
4) Mark a message read if we have seen the start and end of the message
in the buffer.
5) Mark a message read if we see the end of the message after seeing the
start (rationale moving to the top of the buffer is likely "movement"
rather than "reading")

6) Something based on how we leave the message: eg page down could mark
all messages which were fully visible read, n (next-open message) could
mark the message being left read.
7) Similar to 6) but something where read necessarily includes have seen
the start of the message.

I think all of these are reasonably easy to implement, and I think I
know which I would like (something like 5 or 7) but it would be
interesting to know if there is any general view or any view on how
customisable this should be.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Best wishes

Mark