encoding when forwarding messages

Eric Abrahamsen eric at ericabrahamsen.net
Tue Aug 27 07:41:45 PDT 2013

David Bremner <david at tethera.net> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <eric at ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>
>> I saw another message about the same problem on this list, in January,
>> with the advice to upgrade to git, but I'm still seeing it on notmuch
>> 0.16+7~gdc51bf0. Forwarding a message from within emacs using
>> `notmuch-mua-forward-message' sometimes produces garbled encoding.
>> Calling `notmuch-show-forward-message' on the same message, however,
>> creates what appears to be a raw message, properly encoded.
>>
>> Is there something still amiss in the code? Am I using the wrong
>> command?
>
> Do you really mean notmuch-mua-forward-message? That function is not
> interactive, which would make it more work to call.
>
> In any case, notmuch-show-forward-message does take some care to read
> the message in raw mode (via with-current-notmuch-show-message); when
> you call notmuch-mua*forward-message, how are you filling the buffer?

Sorry! It was `notmuch-mua-new-forward-message' I've been using,
apologies for the confusion. I'm not calling any particular filling
commands. I've got this in .gnus.el:

(add-hook 'message-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (flyspell-mode)
	    (orgstruct-mode)))

And I've got the auto-fill minor mode enabled. I don't see any other
minor modes that seem likely to interfere...

Thanks!
Eric