Aliases in notmuch queries

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Thu Jul 18 14:12:19 PDT 2013

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> writes:

> Often when searching for messages from these collaborators, I realise I
> cannot recall their real names (or cannot spell it correctly).  It would
> be great if notmuch had a facility to map nicknames to real names;
> something like what git does with .mailmap.
>
> Does something like this exist?  If not, is it feasible?  I think it
> would be a great addition.

It might be possible to use xapian synonyms

   http://xapian.org/docs/synonyms.html

to do this.

The basic synonym enabling doesn't look that hard, I think the fiddly
bits would be in loading up the synonyms at right time.  We'd have to
think about how to sensibly store/backup this information so that
bindings users could have access to it.