Links in email messages

Adam Wolfe Gordon awg+notmuch at xvx.ca
Mon Jul 15 13:47:01 PDT 2013

Hi Bart,

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 11:34 PM, Bart Bunting <bart at ursys.com.au> wrote:
> I am having trouble activating links in emails.  I guess what I
> intuitively expect to happen is that if i hit enter on a link that it
> opens up using browse-url-at-point or similar.
>
> All that appears to happen is that the message I'm viewing collapses.
>
> I would also if possible like urls to be active in text messages as
> well.
>
> Is there an easy solution to this that I'm missing?

First off, if anyone would like to implement this feature, I would
definitely appreciate it. I don't have a great solution, but there are
two workarounds I've used for this:

1. I used to use a terminal that automatically made links clickable
(with a modifier key). This worked well until I got tired of other
bugs in that terminal. (Note that this only applies if, like me, you
run emacs -nw).

2. These days I add a key to the notmuch-show keymap mapped to
browse-url-at-point, with the following:

(define-key notmuch-show-mode-map "U" 'browse-url-at-point)

So when there's a URL I want to see, I go to it and hit U. It's not as
convenient/obvious as enter, but it works well enough. I assume this
works in non-terminal emacs as well.

-- Adam