remove unused tags from the database / emacs ui?

Jani Nikula jani at nikula.org
Wed Apr 24 01:04:19 PDT 2013

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013, ingo <mail1 at 2b1.de> wrote:
> I have some tags which were created by afew tests, or just misspelling tags.
> These tags are now unused, but seem to still be in the database, or cached
> in the emacs ui, because I get these tags as possibilities in "add tags"
> list.

Apparently you still have some messages tagged with these tags. You can
get a list of all the tags in all the messages in the database using:

$ notmuch search --output=tags '*'

Or view the "All tags" section in notmuch-hello in Emacs. There you can
also query which messages have these "undesirable" tags.

> Any ideas on how I can get rid of them?

On the command line, if you wanted, for example, "foo" and "bar" tags
removed from all the messages:

$ notmuch tag -foo -bar -- '*'

Alternatively, do a search for all messages in emacs, and hit '*' in the
search view to tag all messages matching the query. List the ones you
want removed.

HTH,
Jani.