Xapers

Rainer M. Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Tue Apr 16 03:05:22 PDT 2013

Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 16 2013, "Rainer M. Krug" <Rainer at krugs.de> wrote:
>> It would be quite important to be able to do something along the lines
>> of
>>
>>   xapers import --bib=TheBibtexFile.bib
>
> Hi, Rainer:
>
> Xapers does currently do something similar to this.  The following takes
> the first bibtex entry from bibtex.bib and creates a new Xapers
> document:
>
>   xapers add --source=bibtex.bib
>
> However, I suspect you're looking for a way to import a full bibtex
> database with multiple entries, and create a new Xapers document for

Exactly - batch importing my several thousand papers from the bibtex file.

> each.  This shouldn't be difficult to implement.  Particularly if
> there

That's good to hear.
'
> is a standard bibtex field for specifying associated file paths.
> Patrick mentioned that jabref uses something, so maybe I can start with
> that.

Mendeley for example uses the file field:

file = {:home/rkrug/Documents/Mendeley Desktop/Knight et al/Knight et
al._2006.pdf:pdf},

I would actually make the pdf an optional entry. Most papers have URLs
attached, which make it possible to get the paper if one is interested
in. And xapers would be really useful in assessing potential papers
before downloading the pdfs.

And another thought: jabref stores info about the paper in the pdf's
meta data - maybe xapers could use that data as well, so just pointing
to a directory full of pdf could then also work.

>> Is there a mailing list or place where you anounce new versions?
>
> It does look like there might be a need.  I'll look into putting
> something together.

Would be good - xapers looks really useful.

> In the mean time I'm hanging out on #xapers on irc.freenode.net.

Ok - and please send updates about the mailing list here as well.

Cheers,

Rainer

> jamie.
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>