Integrating notmuch with gnus?

Rainer M. Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Wed Apr 10 09:24:28 PDT 2013

Istvan Marko <notmuch at kismala.com> writes:

> "Rainer M. Krug" <Rainer at krugs.de> writes:
>
>> Istvan Marko <notmuch at kismala.com> writes:
>>> nnir (gnus search backend) supports notmuch out of the box. If I
>>> remember right all you have to do is:
>>>
>>> (setq nnir-search-engine 'notmuch)
>>>
>>> Or customize nnir-method-default-engines.
>> <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
>>
>> Hm - I tried it out, but G G gives an error message:
>>
>>   Search produced empty results.
>>   gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group: Couldn't request group: Search produced
>>   empty results.
>
> I think it might be sensitive to which group your cursor is on when you
> hit G G. And nnir-search-engine might only work as a server method
> variable. The top of nnir.el has some docs and examples. The notmuch
> search method itself shouldn't need any special configuration (other
> than having notmuch itself working).

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
I found a solution to using notmuch with gnus at [1] which explains how
to set it up. In a nutshell: G G is replaced with a call of
notmuch-search and an additional function makes it possible to locate
the mail in the group in gnus after the notmuch search. Works nicely.

Maybe this could be added to the emacstips page?

Cheers,

Rainer

Footnotes:
[1] http://roland.entierement.nu/blog/2010/09/08/gnus-dovecot-offlineimap-search-a-howto.html