funcmail.py: generate notmuch-tags based on headers

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Fri Mar 29 12:43:41 PDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 22 2013, Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil at suse.cz> wrote:
> because it seems that notmuch does not index all headers, I've written a
> simple, but quite usable tool, which goes through a maildir and generate
> an output for notmuch-tag --batch according a simple rules. I've
> borrowed the syntax from notmuch-tag --batch format, so it should be
> very easy for any notmuch user to configure.
>
> You can query the content of a paricular header
> # tags will be applied when string is in header
> +notmuch -inbox -- 'notmuch.notmuchmail.org' in 'List-Id'

Hi, Michal.  You might consider using a format that might be actually
adopted by notmuch down the line.  This is sure to set off a protracted
bike-shedding debate, but let me get the ball rolling.

Imagine down the line we are able to index arbitrary user-specified
headers.  Maybe we could adopt a new search prefix of the form:

  x:<header>:<value>

e.g.

  x:list-id:notmuch.notmuchmail.org

I think this would work with the Xapian term prefixing, but I'll let the
Xapian experts comment.

Bike shed away!

jamie.