Bug: problem decoding some non-ascii characters in subjects

Jani Nikula jani at nikula.org
Sun Feb 10 04:21:40 PST 2013

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013, Albin Stjerna <albin.stjerna at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hm. So I should report this to Thunderbird? I tried searching through
> their bug reports but didn't find anything.

I tried that too; there were other RFC 2047 related header bugs but
could not find this one. And the other bugs were old and fixed. Judging
by the User-Agent header this is fairly up-to-date Thunderbird.

It seems to be list mail. It would not surprise me that some ill-advised
mailing list manager would decode and re-encode the subject. One could
try sending the same message directly and through the list, and see if
there's a difference.

> I didn't think it was a bug, since Gmail rendered it just fine.

It's possible they interpret the RFC in a more relaxed way. AFAICS
notmuch relies on gmime to handle this, so I think we would have to go
out of our way to work around this in notmuch. A quick search did not
bring up anything gmime related about this, so I don't know if this has
been discussed in the gime context.

BR,
Jani.