notmuch python bindings corrupt db index (was: gmail importer script)

Patrick Totzke patricktotzke at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 08:16:00 PST 2012

Quoting Jason A. Donenfeld (2012-12-13 14:32:53)
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Austin Clements <amdragon at mit.edu> wrote:
> > There should be no way to corrupt the database at this level through
> > the Xapian API, which means nothing libnotmuch can do (much less users
> > of libnotmuch) should be able to corrupt the database.  If you can
> > reproduce the problem, it's probably a serious bug in Xapian, but it
> > could also have been a file system bug or even random file system
> > corruption.
>
> Well that's... troubling.
>
> Patrick: could you please backup and try to reproduce? Otherwise I'll
> assume this was a one-off situation.

I tried it again, concurrently triggered some modifications
and killed the process afer a while.
(my modifications were not flushed during the run of your script as
the index was locked)
The index seems to be OK. So I'm afraid I cannot reproduce this reliably.
/p