notmuch python bindings corrupt db index (was: gmail importer script)

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Thu Dec 13 06:32:53 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Austin Clements <amdragon at mit.edu> wrote:
> There should be no way to corrupt the database at this level through
> the Xapian API, which means nothing libnotmuch can do (much less users
> of libnotmuch) should be able to corrupt the database.  If you can
> reproduce the problem, it's probably a serious bug in Xapian, but it
> could also have been a file system bug or even random file system
> corruption.

Well that's... troubling.

Patrick: could you please backup and try to reproduce? Otherwise I'll
assume this was a one-off situation.

Austin-- think you could do a quick review of the script to double
check and confirm I'm not doing anything nefarious?
http://git.zx2c4.com/gmail-notmuch/tree/gmail-notmuch.py