gmail label support patch available for oflineimap

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 11:07:10 PST 2012

On 27 November 2012 18:00, Michal Nazarewicz <mina86 at mina86.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 27 2012, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> > So from your point of view - what would be the best / most consistent
> > approach with gmail? Sync All Mail folder (and Inbox) with offlineimap
> > and sync the label information via notmuch? Would definitely seem to
> > make sense, as it deals with labels on the gmail side which is nothing
> > different to tags in notmuch.
>
> So why do we need the offlineimap step here? In the scenario you've
> described, notmuch needs to speak IMAP, than why can't it just download
> the mail all together.

Yes - offlineimap is not needed actually, but I personally I see notmuch as
an indexing / tagging program for a mailabox in maildir format, which means
local. So all changes are done locally, and not bad on an imap server (or
synching tags with an imap server). This would be the job for offlineimap.
But actually I don't care which program is doing it.

> > But I definitely share your concerns about modifying the emails itself.
>
> Big deal.  Email headers are modified all the time by various pieces of
> software.

Well - it is ust my feeling that the lesser changes are done to the email
and its headers, the better.

Cheers,

Rainer

> --
> Best regards,                                         _     _
> .o. | Liege of Serenely Enlightened Majesty of      o' \,=./ `o
> ..o | Computer Science,  Michał “mina86” Nazarewicz    (o o)
> ooo +----<email/xmpp: mpn at google.com>--------------ooO--(_)--Ooo--

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa