Notmuch Pick

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Mon Jun 18 10:14:58 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 16 2012, Mark Walters <markwalters1009 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since I have had various requests for notmuch pick
> (id:"1329096015-8078-2-git-send-email-markwalters1009 at gmail.com") so I
> have started a git repository at
> git://github.com/markwalters1009/notmuch.git
>
> The branch pick-6 is the current version. My intention is to start a new
> branch each time I rebase on to current master but this may change. (I
> suggest that people do not rely on a consistent history for this repository)

Hey, Mark.  I took a look at this and I have a couple of comments:

726e11aff69e10499a9855e0ac2f15e518985c1f
    cli: notmuch-show with framing newlines between threads in JSON.

This patch introduces a change in the json output format, but there is
no subsequent update of the test suite, so it's causing a lot of test
failures.  Obviously this needs to be fixed, but it would probably be
nice to include a couple of other tests for the pick output itself.  At
the very least a sanity test to check that it's working at all would be
sufficient initially.

Would it also be useful to make this same change for the search out, for
consistency?  I notice the search output now uses newlines between all
fields, which should help for asynchronous processing, but it might be
nice to put newline separators between the initial and final brackets as
well.

df97df62b70b884a1cd367360ed6ff7eda0e8af6
    cli: add --headers_only option to notmuch-show.c

Your comment in this patch is very interesting:

    This is used by notmuch-pick.el (although not needed) because it gives a
    speed-up of at least a factor of a two; moreover it reduces the memory
    usage in emacs hugely.

The only difference between the regular show json output and the
--headers-only output, as far as I can tell, is the presence of the
content of text/plain parts if they exist in the message.  We previously
had a discussion about the show output not including any part bodies at
all, but we decided that the inclusion of text/plain bodies shouldn't
affect anything, so why not include them.  If they actually do, then I
argue we should just move to having show json not include any body parts
at all by default, and just have them be retrieved individually like we
do currently for non-text/plain parts.  This would make things cleaner,
and would get rid of the need to have this extra option, which really
doesn't produce a significantly different output.

jamie.