Problem with invalid characters when using notmuch-reply

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila at iki.fi
Mon Jun 4 03:09:28 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 04 2012, Albin Stjerna <albin.stjerna at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a very confusing problem. When replying to a message containing
> special characters (read: non-ascii), they show up as mysteriously
> escaped characters, such as \345 (where the letter ä should be). When
> sending these replies, I get an error about my message containing
> non-printable characters. When these messages arrive, the special
> characters (even those I entered, that looked fine in the mail compose
> buffer) are garbled.
>
> Everything works fine when composing a new message. The problem only
> appears when replying. The problem appeared quite recently, apparently
> out of nowhere. No emacs upgrade, no notmuch upgrade (as far as I can
> recall).
>
> The problem is appears in both Emacs 23 and 24, and restart (neither of Emacs nor of my computer) doesn't help.
>
> Also:
> albin at hecate ~ % notmuch --version
> notmuch 0.13

Notmuch 0.13.1 fixed this problem -- excerpt from NEWS file:

Notmuch 0.13.1 (2012-05-29)
===========================

Bug-fix release
---------------

Fix inserting of UTF-8 characters from *text/plain* parts in reply

  While notmuch gained ability to insert content from other than
  *text/plain*
  parts of email whenever *text/plain* parts are not available (notably
  HTML-only emails), replying to mails that do have *text/plain* the
  non-ASCII characters were incorrectly decoded. This is now fixed.

> albin at hecate ~ % locale
> LANG=en_US.utf8
> LANGUAGE=
> LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
> LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
> LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
> LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
> LC_ALL=
>
> notmuch reply (on the command line) seems to work just fine.
>
> Any pointers you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for the good information you provided in your report!

> Thanks in advance,
>   Albin

Tomi