using bbdb with autocompletion

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila at iki.fi
Sat Apr 14 14:13:46 PDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 12 2012, David Belohrad <david at belohrad.ch> wrote:

> Dear All,
> before I was using gnus to read my emails. This was setup together with
> bbdb such, that every email address I got an email delivered got stored
> into the bbdb database.
>
> The config was following:
>
> ---------------------------
> ;; IF USING GNUS TO FETCH MAIL:
> (if (locate-library "bbdb")
>     ;; bbdb to automatically create email address list
>     (progn
>       (require 'bbdb)
>       (bbdb-initialize)
>       (add-hook 'gnus-startup-hook 'bbdb-insinuate-gnus)
>       (add-hook 'gnus-startup-hook 'bbdb-insinuate-message)
>       (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'bbdb-define-all-aliases)
>
>       (setq bbdb/news-auto-create-p t)
>       (setq bbdb-complete-name-allow-cycling t)
>       (setq bbdb-complete-mail-allow-cycling t)
>       (setq bbdb-complete-name-full-completion t)
>       (setq bbdb-completion-type 'primary-or-name)
>       (setq bbdb-use-pop-up nil)
>       ;; set BBDB to AFS so we have the access from all computers to the same bbdb database!
>       (setq bbdb-file "/afs/cern.ch/user/b/belohrad/private/bbdb")
>       (setq bbdb-offer-save 1)
>       (setq bbdb-electric-p t)
>       (message "bbdb initialized")
>       )
>   (message "bbdb is missing: address lookup will not work"))
> --------------------------
>
> The problem I have with this now is, that when using notmuch to read
> emails, the email addresses do not automatically add to bbdb. So when I
> write an email, I can only choose 'To:' email address, which is already
> in the bbdb from the times I was using gnus. But all new addresses are
> not added.
>
> How can I setup notmuch properly so with each email arrived it checks
> against email address and stores it in the bbdb as in case of gnus?

There is (too) brief notice about that in

http://notmuchmail.org/emacstips/#index13h2

There is just little bit more information in notmuch archives
about that -- I did not dig deeper though.

If you're interested you could figure that out and update the
wiki page.

I'm, using this: id:"m2ehtm1w7p.fsf at guru.guru-group.fi" :D

(currently my last mail on nottoomuch-addresses.sh)

> thanks for any help.
>
> --
> .david.

Tomi