using bbdb with autocompletion

David Belohrad david at belohrad.ch
Thu Apr 12 01:18:10 PDT 2012

Dear All,
before I was using gnus to read my emails. This was setup together with
bbdb such, that every email address I got an email delivered got stored
into the bbdb database.

The config was following:

---------------------------
;; IF USING GNUS TO FETCH MAIL:
(if (locate-library "bbdb")
    ;; bbdb to automatically create email address list
    (progn
      (require 'bbdb)
      (bbdb-initialize)
      (add-hook 'gnus-startup-hook 'bbdb-insinuate-gnus)
      (add-hook 'gnus-startup-hook 'bbdb-insinuate-message)
      (add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'bbdb-define-all-aliases)

      (setq bbdb/news-auto-create-p t)
      (setq bbdb-complete-name-allow-cycling t)
      (setq bbdb-complete-mail-allow-cycling t)
      (setq bbdb-complete-name-full-completion t)
      (setq bbdb-completion-type 'primary-or-name)
      (setq bbdb-use-pop-up nil)
      ;; set BBDB to AFS so we have the access from all computers to the same bbdb database!
      (setq bbdb-file "/afs/cern.ch/user/b/belohrad/private/bbdb")
      (setq bbdb-offer-save 1)
      (setq bbdb-electric-p t)
      (message "bbdb initialized")
      )
  (message "bbdb is missing: address lookup will not work"))
--------------------------

The problem I have with this now is, that when using notmuch to read
emails, the email addresses do not automatically add to bbdb. So when I
write an email, I can only choose 'To:' email address, which is already
in the bbdb from the times I was using gnus. But all new addresses are
not added.

How can I setup notmuch properly so with each email arrived it checks
against email address and stores it in the bbdb as in case of gnus?

thanks for any help.

--
.david.