Passwordless multi-account SMTP

James Vasile james at hackervisions.org
Tue Apr 3 08:46:13 PDT 2012

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 17:29:07 +0200, Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use notmuch from Emacs. I have a number of SMTP accounts
> through which I would need to send mail. Suggested solutions I have
> found fall into 3 categories:
>
> + Gnus posting styles. (I'd rather stay clear of gnus, at present.)
>
> + Writing plaintext passwords in the MSMTP config files. (I'm rather
>   relutctant to leave plaintext passwords lying around.)
>
> + Emacs' own SMTP library. (I don't understand how to get it to deal
>   with many accounts in a non-gnus based way. It also seems to be
>   undergoing an interface change in the transition from Emacs 23 to
>   24, and it was already confusing enough without that complication.)
>
> To further complicate matters, I'm looking for a solution which queues
> any messages which are sent while the machine is offline. (It seems
> that MSMTP and Emacs SMTP library do offer some help in those
> respects.)
>
> Hints gratefully received.

I use a slightly modified msmtpq for queuing and I have some hooks that
run profiles to choose SMTP server and other options based on
sender/receiver/last search.  Passwords are plain text but my fs is
encrypted.  If you want, you could encrypt the password file with gpg
and use gpg-agent to grab the password as needed from the file.

Good luck.