[BUG/PATCH v2] emacs: Fix the References header in reply

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Thu Mar 29 10:14:47 PDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 28 2012, Adam Wolfe Gordon <awg+notmuch at xvx.ca> wrote:
> In the new reply code, the References header gets inserted by
> message.el using a function called message-shorten-references. Unlike
> all the other header-inserting functions, it doesn't put a newline
> after the header, causing the next header to end up on the same
> line. In our case, this header happened to be User-Agent, so it's hard
> to notice. This is probably a bug in message.el, but we need to work
> around it.
>
> This fixes the problem by wrapping message-shorten-references in a
> function that inserts a newline after if necessary. This should
> protect against the message.el bug being fixed in the future.

Hey, Adam.  Thanks so much for working on this.

I just tested this patch and it does seem to fix the issue.  However, a
side effect seems to be that the References header is now appearing as
the first header in the reply buffer, rather than the last, as it used
to.  I suppose this is merely aesthetic, but I did prefer the ordering
as it was before.  Is there a way to tweak the
message-header-format-alist so that the References header appears last
again?

Given the various things that are being affected by this, it would
probably be good to add a test for this as well.

jamie.