emacs: Function `remove-if' from cl package called at runtime

Adam Wolfe Gordon awg+notmuch at xvx.ca
Wed Mar 28 20:15:10 PDT 2012

Hi everyone,

As I was fixing the Refrences bug tonight (patch forthcoming), I
introduced another usage of a cl library function that produces the
warning from emacs:
Warning: Function `remove-if' from cl package called at runtime

Reading a bit about this warning, it sounds like the reason for it is
that remove-if et al. are functions, so they can be replaced by some
other package, and the emacs folks don't want packages included with
emacs to use them because they would then break if the functions were
redefined. Are we worried about this in notmuch? It seems to me like
it's mostly political, but I'm pretty new to the emacs lisp world.

I remember that some time ago it was decided that we were OK with
using functions the cl library where it improves code quality. What do
we think of using functions that cause the "called at runtime"
warning?

--
Adam Wolfe Gordon