Unofficial notmuch wiki concerns

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Tue Mar 27 04:01:54 PDT 2012

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:39:47 -0500, Kyle Sexton <ks at mocker.org> wrote:

> My goal is to make a site where the documentation is easy to update,
> and attractive.  My concern is having too many places out there for
> information.  I tried to assuage that with the disclaimer pointing to
> the canonical site.  Does the community think there is space for an
> unofficial wiki like this?

[ For those of you following along at home, notmuchuchmail.org is
  an ikiwiki instance, writable by anonymous git push ]

First, it's great that you want to give something back to the notmuch
project.  As a project, I think we should be primarily concerned with
the quality of the official documentation that ships with the software,
but I recognize that some things are too transient or specialized to fit
in the official docs.

Personally, I would much rather you help improve the notmuch wiki than
fork it.

If you want to have your personal site, like a blog, of course that's
fine. But if you expect other people to contribute to your wiki instead
of the official one (and the generic name kind of suggests that you do,
as compared to mocker.org), then I think it isn't helpful. The set of
contributors to the wiki (like the overall notmuch community) is
extremely small, and splitting that will decrease the quality of both
splits.

If there are technical barriers preventing contributing to the notmuch
wiki, then the folk on #notmuch would be happy to help with that.  It
might just be that you prefer some other wiki software; unfortunately
these are the sorts of compromises needed to make free software projects
(and other projects) work.  Or you can agitate to have the project
change it's wiki, if you feel that strongly about it.

David