Replacing my name/email with "me" (or similar) in author lists

Daniel Schoepe daniel at schoepe.org
Sun Feb 26 08:41:04 PST 2012

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 11:22:10 +0000, Patrick Totzke <patricktotzke at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > so it would seem more appropriate that this be done in the backend.
> I agree. I personally think this is a nice feature to have in all
> user interfaces to notmuch and therefore it makes sense to implement it once
> in the lib. Also because ~/.notmuch-config already contains a list of my addresses
> and therefore should have all information needed.

I'm not sure if that's a good idea: A frontend might want to make this
configurable, for example to give the user the opportunity to disable it
(possibly to see to which of his mail adresses he used in that thread,
if they have different real name components). It might also get tricky
to distinguish between someone called "me" participating in the thread
and the user, which might be relevant for highlighting the latter case
differently, while it's rather easy for a frontend to do the
transformation itself.

At least it should not be done in the library, because it'd need to read
the user's addresses from configuration file which the library is not
supposed to access, as far as I understand.

Cheers,
Daniel