Searching through different charsets

Michal Sojka sojkam1 at fel.cvut.cz
Thu Feb 23 16:31:35 PST 2012

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012, Serge Z wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've got the following problem: fetched emails can be in different encodings.
> And searching a term typed in one encoding (system default) does not match the
> same term in another encoding.
>
> The solution, as I see, can be in preprocessing each incoming email to
> "normalize" it and its encoding so that indexer will handle emails in system
> encoding only. Could you please suggest something?

I can confirm this issue and sending a patch with test case (marked as
broken) for this. I expect the fix to be quite simple because all
encoding/docoding stuff is already implemented in gmime which is used by
notmuch when indexing.

> Another issue (not so much wanted but wanted too) is searching through html
> messages without matching html tags.

I don't know whether somebody works on this or nor.

> This problem looks to be solvable by properly configured run-mailcap. Is there
> such solution anywhere?

I don't think that run-mailcap has anything to do with notmuch.

-Michal