RFC: tag macros

Austin Clements amdragon at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 18 10:33:04 PST 2012

Quoth David Bremner on Jan 18 at 10:45 am:

> Hi All;
>
> Here is a very early stage proposal to provide tagging macros for
> notmuch show mode.
>
> The idea is that user defines a mapping from single key to a sequence of
> tagging operations.  It might be nice if there as some kind of pop-up
> menu, or at least a prompt, but I didn't do that so far.
>
> The advantage of this rather than just writing lots of little lambdas is
> that it combines adding and deleting, and it could be done via
> customize.
>
> As provided, the code should just paste into .emacs, and with a little
> editing into notmuch-show.el.

What about simply providing an API that takes a bunch of tag
operations and applies them to the current thread/message/region?
Maybe even the notmuch-show-add-or-del-tags that you have below
(probably spruced up a bit).  I feel like the type of people who are
likely to use tag macros would also have the know-how to add a simple
key binding of their own, assuming it *were* simple.  Such an API
would probably clean up some of the tagging code in notmuch-show, too.