Emacs: Crypto: How to get automatic encryption?

Gregor Zattler telegraph at gmx.net
Thu Jan 12 11:05:14 PST 2012

Hi Jameson,
* Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> [12. Jan. 2012]:
> On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 13:45:14 -0800, Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
>> Unfortunately, auto encrypting of replies to encrypted emails is not yet
>> implemented.  It is desperately needed, though, obviously.  So this is a
>> good excuse to start a discussion about how we could achieve this.
[...]
> There is a set of patches in the queue to add a JSON output format for
> reply, with the emacs UI then consuming that to construct the reply
> template [0].  This will make it very easy to communicate to the emacs
> UI that the original message was encrypted, and that the reply should be
> similarly encrypted.  I'm going to wait until that patch set makes it
> through, and then build this functionality on top of that.
> [0] id:"1326009162-19524-3-git-send-email-awg+notmuch at xvx.ca"

That would be really great.

But how about not only replying encrypted but encrypting every
email if possible?  "Possible" could mean different things,
though:

1) encrypt if fully trusted suitable public keys for all
   recipients are GnuPG key ring.

2) encrypt if suitable public keys for all recipients are in
   GnuPGs key ring.

3) try to fetch suitable public keys from server in order to to
   check 2).

I for instance fiddled with my mutt configuration to achieve 1).

But I have no clue about how to do this with notmuch/Emacs.

Ciao, Gregor
--