Possible bug in tests with emacs 23.2.1 (debian stable)

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila at iki.fi
Mon Jan 2 06:55:45 PST 2012

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 10:05:59 +0000, Mark Walters <markwalters1009 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> When I try and run the tests on my (fairly standard) debian stable
> system they hang after "PASS   Search message: json, utf-8". This is
> with latest git (07768fb1bb50e) and emacs 23.2.1.
>
> As far as I can see emacs is not exiting when sent the "(kill-emacs)"
> command from test-lib.sh (line 931 called from line 869). It seems
> that this version of emacs prompts before exit asking "The current
> server still has clients; delete them? (yes or no) ".
>
> This seems to have been "fixed" (i.e. emacs does not ask for a prompt
> in emacs revision 100150
> http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/emacs-23/revision/100150).
>
> If I change test-lib.sh line 869 to send "(setq kill-emacs-hook 'nil)
> (kill-emacs)" instead of just (kill-emacs) then the tests work
> correctly (*). But I definitely don't know enough emacs to know if
> this is a sensible solution.

Interesting case... what if we want to use this hook from notmuch in
the future -- and, naturally, provide a test for this functionality.

Perhaps... if we wanted to support workaround for this particular bug,
the (setq kill-emacs-hook nil) could be put after (server-start) in
test-lib.sh...

.. but, I checked code and tested that. In case that hook is disabled,
server shutdown cleanup is not done (at least dangling server socket
file is left behind)...

... so my "vote" is that we don't attempt to work around this bug. Do
we have KNOWN ISSUES file where this kind of things can be documented ?

> Note I get exactly the same behaviour when trying to build the debian
> package from squeeze backports so it could be a bug in my setup in
> which case my apologies for the noise!

It is not a bug in your setup; I tested it with emacs 23.2.1; running
emacs from command line, executing (server-start) there and then executed
emacsclient --eval '(kill-emacs)' in another terminal window.

> Best wishes
>
> Mark

Tomi