Possible bug in tests with emacs 23.2.1 (debian stable)

Mark Walters markwalters1009 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 02:05:59 PST 2012

Hello

When I try and run the tests on my (fairly standard) debian stable
system they hang after "PASS   Search message: json, utf-8". This is
with latest git (07768fb1bb50e) and emacs 23.2.1.

As far as I can see emacs is not exiting when sent the "(kill-emacs)"
command from test-lib.sh (line 931 called from line 869). It seems
that this version of emacs prompts before exit asking "The current
server still has clients; delete them? (yes or no) ".

This seems to have been "fixed" (i.e. emacs does not ask for a prompt
in emacs revision 100150
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/emacs-23/revision/100150).

If I change test-lib.sh line 869 to send "(setq kill-emacs-hook 'nil)
(kill-emacs)" instead of just (kill-emacs) then the tests work
correctly (*). But I definitely don't know enough emacs to know if
this is a sensible solution.

Note I get exactly the same behaviour when trying to build the debian
package from squeeze backports so it could be a bug in my setup in
which case my apologies for the noise!

Best wishes

Mark

(*) there are a small number (5) of unrelated test failures  that I
have not yet chased down