RFC: don't ask users to do 'sudo make install'

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 06:54:05 PST 2011

On 07/12/11 15:34, David Bremner wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 15:05:02 +0100, Rainer M Krug
> <R.M.Krug at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Because of these problems, I use checkinstall to create a deb
>> file ( I am using Ubuntu) which I can then un-install again if I
>> want to, or update, or anything the package manager can do.
>
> Note that in recent versions of notmuch, "make debian-snapshot" is
> probably a better option than checkinstall, since it uses the
> "official" debian packaging that ships with notmuch.

Interesting. I assume, I have to do

./configure
make
make debian-snapshot

but this resulted in the following error:

dpkg-buildpackage: warning: (Use -d flag to override.)
debuild: fatal error at line 1348:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc failed
make: *** [debian-snapshot] Error 29

I also tried it with the sudo afterwards, but I got the same error, so
I used checkinstall again and it worked without problems:

sudo checkinstall --fstrans=yes

But why did I get this error?

Rainer

> I don't know how practical/useful it is to support something
> similar for other distros / OSes, but we could certainly consider
> it.

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University