RFC: don't ask users to do 'sudo make install'

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Wed Dec 7 06:34:26 PST 2011

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 15:05:02 +0100, Rainer M Krug <R.M.Krug at gmail.com> wrote:

> Because of these problems, I use checkinstall to create a deb file ( I
> am using Ubuntu) which I can then un-install again if I want to, or
> update, or anything the package manager can do.

Note that in recent versions of notmuch, "make debian-snapshot" is
probably a better option than checkinstall, since it uses the "official"
debian packaging that ships with notmuch.

I don't know how practical/useful it is to support something similar for
other distros / OSes, but we could certainly consider it.