[alot] on Arch Linux

Patrick Totzke patricktotzke at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 16 01:06:44 PST 2011

Hi Philipp,

Quoting Philipp Überbacher (2011-12-14 22:30:22)
>I run Arch Linux. Here's some information for fellow Archers:
>PKGBUILD for alot-git: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=54955
>Should work just fine. If you want to help debug alot, change
>_gitname=master to the name of the branch, build and install as usual.

Great! Thanks for this.
Regarding your bug reports: Can anybody else running Arch confirm the problems Philipp has?
In particular that logging doesn't work and this issue:
https://github.com/pazz/alot/issues/156 ?
Because I don't know how to reproduce this and having no log makes debugging difficult..

>Another little trap:
>Arch doesn't supply a mailcap file, alot needs it for all those funky
>html mails. As a solution until alot handles those mails better:

Well, it also makes sense to define some handlers for pdf/images and so on to be able to
easily open attachments. I consider mailcap the right way to do this (until someone comes
and shows me a better solution), so I don't plan on removing the necessity of the user
defining his mailcap. One would have to have one even for mutt. I'm
totally surprised by Arch not shipping a default mailcap at all..
I will add some info on mailcap to the FAQ.

Best,
/p