Re: python-notmuch decoding error on a message

Patrick Totzke patricktotzke at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 25 01:04:06 PST 2011

Silly question: how do i get Antoine's msg stup into notmuch? i tried
using pythons mailbox lib to add this string to one of my mailboxes, which works fine.
but upon `notmuch new` I get something along the lines of "skipped non-mail file $myfile"..

back to the topic:
I find it hichgly suprising that this decode fails because one can easily do sth like:

```
>>>'=?utf-8?B?M+ht?= =?utf-8?Q?e?='.decode('UTF-8')
u'=?utf-8?B?M+ht?= =?utf-8?Q?e?='
```
So the actual string should not be the problem. Apparently,
the string as its stored in the index is not plain ascii anymore, which it was in the msg.
I thought notmuch stores exacctly what it gets?

Apart from this, I'd recommend replacing all decodes to unicode objects
by a subroutine that does the following:
If a global property notmuch.DEBUG is set to true: decode as is,
which will raise these exceptions upon errors
else: use .decode('UTF-8', errors='ignore').

In case the mail is not malformed, it will not contain any non-ascii symbols whatsoever,
so both ways should work. If you happen to deal with a malformed mail, you'd get
the problematic symbols omitted (beware of this when doing cryptostuff).

what do you think?
/p

Quoting David Bremner (2011-11-24 16:13:22)