Patch review/application process

Jameson Graef Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Tue Nov 1 14:27:53 PDT 2011

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 16:55:03 -0300, David Bremner <david at tethera.net> wrote:
> One thing I think we need to clarify a bit is are we tagging whole
> threads or individual messages in the database.  Because of the way
> notmuch search works, I had been tagging whole threads with
> notmuch::pushed (effectively to "mute" them) in the search
>
>                 notmuch search tag:notmuch::patch and \
>                         not tag:notmuch::pushed
>
> This is a bit aesthetically unappealing, anad every time someone replies
> to a thread it is effectively unmuted.

I have to say that I am very much against tagging threads with tags that
are really only applicable to specific messages, ie. ::patch, ::pushed
(I prefer ::applied, but whatever), etc.  For instance, a thread maybe
contain multiple patches, but it is not itself a patch.  Tagging entire
threads as ::patch means you can't do something like this:

notmuch show --format=mbox tag:notmuch::patch and not tag:notmuch::applied | git am

which would in my opinion be a shame.

> Since we don't have thread tagging yet (where e.g. tags are
> automagically applied to new messages I was thinking it might work have
> a tag like "notmuch::todo" and something like the following workflow
> (for patches)

I'm not sure why this is needed, since it seems to me that the whole
argument for tagging entire threads is that the individual messages are
*not* distinguishable from the thread.

> initially tag +notmuch::patch +notmuch::todo
>
> then when we "dispose" of the patch somehow, remove the notmuch::todo tag and
> replace with
>         notmuch::pushed
>         notmuch::obsolete
>         or...

Please do *not* remove the ::patch tag.  There is really no reason to.
The message still contain a patch whether or not it is applied
upstream.  I really think this is important.  The addition of something
From a set of "resolution" tags (::pushed, ::applied, ::obsolete,
::rejected, etc.) should indicate resolution of the issue.

jamie.