Patch review/application process

David Bremner david at tethera.net
Tue Nov 1 12:55:03 PDT 2011

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 08:55:09 -0700, Jameson Graef Rollins <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 11:28:45 -0300, David Bremner <david at tethera.net> wrote:
> > Maybe you can tag those patches as "notmuch::reviewed" using nmbug? [1]
> > My idea is that
> >
> >    notmuch search tag:notmuch::patch and tag:notmuch::reviewed
> >
> > should give a kind of consensus set of "ready to go" patch sets.
>
> Don't forget notmuch::applied, which I think is actually one of the most
> important.  Review is easy to see by looking at the patch thread.  Being
> able to easily find which patches have not yet been applied to master is
> what I'm most looking forward to.

Jamie knows this from IRC, but I have been using "notmuch::pushed" for
this.

One thing I think we need to clarify a bit is are we tagging whole
threads or individual messages in the database.  Because of the way
notmuch search works, I had been tagging whole threads with
notmuch::pushed (effectively to "mute" them) in the search

                notmuch search tag:notmuch::patch and \
                        not tag:notmuch::pushed

This is a bit aesthetically unappealing, anad every time someone replies
to a thread it is effectively unmuted.

Since we don't have thread tagging yet (where e.g. tags are
automagically applied to new messages I was thinking it might work have
a tag like "notmuch::todo" and something like the following workflow
(for patches)

initially tag +notmuch::patch +notmuch::todo

then when we "dispose" of the patch somehow, remove the notmuch::todo tag and
replace with
        notmuch::pushed
        notmuch::obsolete
        or...

Then we could do e.g.

     notmuch search tag:notmuch::patch and tag:notmuch::todo and tag:notmuch::reviewed

to get an "integrators queue" (Well, the more like an unordered pile
than a queue. One problem at a time).

David