Emacs: notmuch-show-mode failing to actually update tags

Tomi Ollila tomi.ollila at iki.fi
Wed Oct 26 01:17:15 PDT 2011

On Wed 26 Oct 2011 10:00, Erlend Simonsen <mr at fudgie.org> writes:

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 10:32:41 -0700, Jameson Graef Rollins
> <jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 15:25:09 +0200, Erlend Simonsen <mr at fudgie.org> wrote:
>> > I've been toying around with notmuch the last few days, and I'm having
>> > some problems with the Emacs mode.
>> >
>> > Updating tags from the search result is fine (except it doesn't reapply
>> > the tag-faces when changed), but all updates done while viewing a single
>> > message/thread end up being ignored as the message id is quoted.
>>
>> Hi, Erlend.  Everything seems to be working for me.  Which version are
>> you running (notmuch --version), and where did you acquire it?
>
> notmuch 0.9-6-g8bb5b62, fetched from git.notmuchmail.org running on GNU
> Emacs 24.0.90.1
>
>> Frequently problems like this happen when the emacs session is not
>> restarted after a notmuch upgrade.  Any chance that applies to your
>> situation?
>
> Unfortunately, no. If I run a search for id:"messageid" within Emacs,
> nothing is found. But if I search for id:messageid, I get the correct
> result. Could this be an Emacs 24 issue?

Try these from command line:

notmuch search id:messageid
notmuch search 'id:"messageid"'

Note all the single and double quotes in second line.

These should return the same output. If these does it might
be that your emacs interface escapes the quotes for some reason.
i.e. the execution from emacs is analogous to this command line:

notmuch search 'id:\"messageid\"'

> -- Erlend

Tomi